Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: JD Kearse
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 53rd episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is JD Kearse, who is here to increase your value through presentation. Join me as I put her in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #53: JD Kearse – Pick up Your Presentations
JD Kearse, Producer and Creative Director at Design Housse, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to increase your value through presentation. Hear how to create awesome pitch decks that get picked up, garner attention for your projects, create intrigue when describing what you do, the value of a 1-on-1 approach, and even some power washing tips. This episode covers everything from the entertainment industry to a Porsche. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How long has JD been using YouTube to solve problems
- What is the problem JD solves?
- The Parachute Analogy
- The 3-1-3 Challenge in Spanish!
- The Papercut Analogy
- Do JD’s clients ever get defensive about their pitch decks?
- What vs. How
- What do JD and a cheese grater have in common?
Check out the episode link, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail. Let’s go!
- [0:26] Ryan Foland
- [0:49] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:54] Connect with JD at DesignHousse.com and on Instagram at @DesignHousse
- [1:41] Speaker, Podcast
- [2:17] What is JD’s story?
- [3:11] Pressure Washer (Power Washer)
- [5:20] How long has JD been using YouTube to solve problems
- [5:39] Quarantine
- [7:32] Why nobody cares what you do
- [8:12] What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [9:14] What is the problem you solve?
- [12:03] Pitch Decks
- [12:51] The Parachute Analogy
- [15:13] Investor, Startups
- [16:16] Entrepreneur
- [17:11] Zoom
- [17:35] The 3-1-3 Challenge in Spanish!
- [19:41] How much emphasis should you put on the problem?
- [20:11] The Papercut Analogy
- [21:05] VC (Venture Capital)
- [22:41] Visit Ryan.Online if you’re looking for a high-energy presenter, branding bootcamps for your personal brand, or to have me take you through the #313Challenge in a private 1-on-1 session in the comfort of your own home for just $313
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [24:08] What is your solution?
- [24:24] TV, Film, and Media
- [25:47] Sitcoms
- [25:56] Executive
- [26:14] Do JD’s clients ever get defensive about their pitch decks?
- [27:27] Target Client
- [28:00] Graphic Design, Presentation
- [28:57] Book, App
- [29:43] What vs. How
- [31:07] Presentation Coach, Pitch Coach
- [31:35] Content Marketing
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [32:36] Who is your target market?
- [32:58] Storytellers
- [33:36] Creatives
- [34:00] Bell Curve
- [35:09] Marketing, Content
- [35:49] Down to 1 sentence
- [37:18] TV Networks
- [41:34] Creators
- [44:29] Metaphor to describe
- [44:37] Tagline
- [45:01] The Power Washer for your Pitch Deck
- [45:40] All-Black Porsche, Porsche Turbo, 2020 GTS Black Porsche GT
- [46:04] Honda Accord
- [46:13] The Taj Mahal of Yoga Mats
- [46:32] Superwoman
- [46:41] The Power Washer for your Presentations
- [47:40] The Mothers Wax of Presentations
- [47:52] The Point Guard of Presentations
- [48:24] The Architect of Pitch Decks
- [48:35] Mr. Miyagi
- [49:26] The Cheese Grater of Presentations
- [50:08] The Carburetor for your Presentation
- [51:25] Media Industry
- [51:30] Connect with JD at DesignHousse.com and on Instagram at @DesignHousse
- [52:06] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [52:14] Visit Ryan.Online/313 to have me take you through the #313Challenge in a private 1-on-1 session in the comfort of your own home
- [52:19] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [52:23] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, JD, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a Cheese Grater for Presentations.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.