Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Jennifer McGonigal
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 47th episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Jennifer McGonigal, who is here to keep you on your content game. Join me as I put her in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #47: Jennifer McGonigal – Giving People a Chance to Be Curious
Jennifer McGonigal, Writing Consultant, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to keep you on your content game. Hear how to maintain your online presence as an entrepreneur, avoid burnout, constantly create content that resonates with your audience, frame the problem you solve, and tips for baking croissants. This episode covers everything from Jennifer’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to her passion for baking. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Jennifer’s love of The Great British Bake Off
- What do Jennifer and Ryan know about Toastmasters
- Why nobody cares what you do
- How do you conquer burnout
- The Problem Pyramid
- The Content Rock
- The McWeekly
- What does blogging have to do with baking
Check out the episode link, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail. Let’s go!
- [0:25] Ryan Foland
- [0:37] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:53] Connect with Jennifer on LinkedIn and Twitter at @JenMcGonigal
- [1:26] What is Jennifer’s story
- [1:35] Toastmasters
- [2:01] TikTok
- [2:15] Paul Hollywood, The Great British Bake Off
- [5:23] Digital Marketing
- [5:27] What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- [5:45] Trademark
- [5:53] Ditch the Act by Ryan Foland
- [6:37] Why nobody cares what you do
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [7:45] What is the problem you solve
- [8:53] Entrepreneurs
- [9:55] Content Marketing
- [10:02] What is the root problem
- [12:32] Burnout
- [12:44] Social Media
- [12:52] Ryan’s TEDx Talks
- [13:55] Pandemic
- [14:58] The Problem Pyramid
- [17:42] Blogging
- [19:10] Copywriting
- [21:17] The Content Rock
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [22:06] What is your solution?
- [29:40] Creative Process
- [31:15] The McGonigal Weekly Method aka The McWeekly
- [31:32] Consultants
- [32:10] Content Creation
- [33:56] Email me at [email protected] with the message #PandemicPricing to have me take you through the #313Challenge in a 1-on-1 session in the comfort of your own home
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [35:14] Who is your target market?
- [35:51] Small Businesses, Startups
- [38:14] Down to 1 sentence
- [39:01] Metaphor to describe
- [39:29] Wok
- [40:37] Instant Pot
- [43:22] The Baker of Blogs
- [44:11] Connect with Jennifer on LinkedIn and Twitter at @JenMcGonigal
- [44:25] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [44:32] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [44:46] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Jennifer, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like the the world’s toughest bake off.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.