Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Alex Melehy
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 43rd episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Alex Melehy, who is here to speed up legal help. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #43: Alex Melehy – Get Efficient Legal Help
Alex Melehy, Founder and CEO of Woodpecker, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to speed up legal help. Hear why startups often can’t afford proper legal help, why you need legal assistance on certain transactions, how to beat the stress that comes from legal risk and deadlines, Alex’s attorney-approved AI platform, and his experience getting travel visas in Southeast Asia. This episode covers everything from Alex’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to his crazy travel stories. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Alex’s affinity for Cambodia
- Why nobody cares what you do
- How does AI play into Alex’s platform
- What are transactional legal documents
- Why you shouldn’t find legal contracts with a Google search
- The Pareto Principle and Parkinson’s Law
- What would happen if LegalZoom and Uber had a baby
- What is a Punnett Square
Connect with Alex at Woodpecker.Legal.
Check out the episode link, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail. Let’s go!
- [0:25] Ryan Foland
- [0:46] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:52] Connect with Alex at Woodpecker.Legal
- [1:57] Alex’s story
- [2:24] Entrepreneur
- [2:54] Martial Law
- [4:12] Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- [5:27] Google
- [6:47] What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- [7:29] Why nobody cares what you do
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [8:35] What is the problem you solve
- [8:57] Legal Services
- [10:26] Small Businesses
- [10:41] Attorney
- [11:19] What is the root problem
- [13:38] Employment Contract
- [13:52] Stock Option Grant
- [16:36] Liability
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [18:15] What is your solution?
- [18:41] AI (Artificial Intelligence)
- [20:14] Transactional Legal Documents
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [23:11] Who is your target market?
- [23:53] In-house legal team
- [24:42] Startups
- [26:23] Bootstrapping
- [26:31] Institutional Money
- [27:30] Pareto Principle, Parkinson’s Law
- [28:01] Cash Flow and Runway
- [29:52] Series A
- [31:15] Compliance
- [32:46] COVID-19
- [33:42] Sales Tax
- [34:45] Down to 1 sentence
- [34:53] Engineer
- [35:40] Dad jokes
- [37:05] Data
- [37:46] Groupthink
- [40:04] Metaphor to describe
- [40:24] Hot Pockets
- [40:30] Tesla, Toyota Prius
- [40:49] Pandemic
- [40:53] Elon Musk
- [41:24] Quarantine
- [41:51] Bird
- [41:58] Lyft
- [43:34] Uber
- [43:57] Brand Halo
- [44:46] On-demand Services
- [45:42] LegalZoom
- [46:53] Punnett Square
- [48:31] Buy Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or Barnes & Noble and book me at Ryan.Online for digital keynotes and digital trainings
- [49:44] Connect with Alex at Woodpecker.Legal
- [50:35] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [50:42] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [50:53] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Alex, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a metaphorical business baby from LegalZoom and Uber.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.