Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Tod Meisner
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 42nd episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Tod Meisner, who is here to spread the good word on adjunct professors. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #42: Tod Meisner – Adjunct Professors Are the Answer
Tod Meisner, Adjunct Instructor at Auburn University and Associate Brand Manager of Aflac, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to spread the good word on adjunct professors. Hear why higher ed faculty is slow to adapt, the benefits of hiring an adjunct professor, how colleges and universities can modernize their curriculum, what to do if you lose your job, and Tod’s business lessons from being a pitcher on the baseball team. This episode covers everything from Tod’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to what he’s learned from playing sports. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What sports did Tod play
- What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- What is the problem with Higher Ed curriculum
- What is an Adjunct Professor
- Why you need to be an inch wide and a mile deep
- What Whac-A-Mole has to do with The 3-1-3 Challenge
- The value of Social Listening
- What a System Update has to do with Tod
Check out the episode link, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail. Let’s go!
- [0:28] Ryan Foland
- [0:53] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:59] Connect with Tod at TodMeisner.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter at @TodMeisner
- [1:48] Pandemic, COVID-19
- [2:32] Tod’s story
- [3:35] Networking
- [4:25] What sports did Tod play
- [4:50] Life coach
- [4:59] What position did Tod play
- [6:19] Marketing, Social Media
- [7:36] Ditch the Act by Ryan Foland
- [8:34] Why nobody cares what you do
- [9:47] Debbie Downer
- [10:31] What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- [11:02] Minimalism
- [11:23] Tod’s Twitter
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [12:34] What is the problem you solve
- [12:55] Zoom
- [13:10] Higher Education (Higher Ed)
- [14:40] Professors
- [14:43] What is the root problem
- [15:00] Tenure
- [20:26] UCI (University of California, Irvine), CSF (California State University, Fullerton), UCI Extension (UCI Continuing Education)
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [20:44] What is your solution?
- [22:07] Checks and balances
- [23:50] Adjunct Professor
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [28:42] Who is your target market?
- [29:49] Business School Deans
- [30:48] Inch wide, mile deep
- [31:41] SEC (Southeastern Conference), Sun Belt Conference
- [32:05] Marketing Budget
- [32:22] Ad Spend
- [33:03] Glassdoor, Rate My Professors
- [33:29] Social Listening
- [33:41] Remote and Online Learning
- [33:57] Down to 1 sentence
- [34:36] Whac-A-Mole, The Cup Game
- [42:34] Buy Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or Barnes & Noble and book me at Ryan.Online for digital keynotes and digital trainings
- [43:47] Thing 1 Thing 2
- [44:02] Metaphor to describe
- [44:21] Tesla, Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Truck
- [45:02] Norton Antivirus, McAfee Antivirus
- [45:30] Smartphone app
- [45:58] Trim tab
- [46:54] Rally Monkey
- [48:05] System Update
- [49:01] Connect with Tod at TodMeisner.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter at @TodMeisner
- [49:12] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [49:22] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [49:32] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Tod, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like the starting pitcher in Game 7 of the World Series.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.