Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Drew Forde
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 39th episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Drew Forde aka ThatViolaKid, who is here to bring out your best. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #39: Drew Forde – Believe in Yourself
Drew Forde, ThatViolaKid, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to bring out your best. Hear how to believe in yourself, how to celebrate more voices in historically dominated industries, how to create change, why industries get behind the times, and the challenges Drew has faced playing the viola. This episode covers everything from Drew’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to Ryan rapping. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How music has influenced Drew’s life
- How he uses his voice for impact
- Is small talk a way of deescalating potentially hostile interactions
- Drew’s experience at Juilliard
- What is the root problem
- Drew’s Faking Notes Podcast
- What Drew and Alexander the Great have in common
- Ryan rapping! The Ginger MC
Check out the episode link, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail. Let’s go!
- [0:29] Ryan Foland
- [0:47] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:55] Connect with Drew on YouTube, Instagram, and Spotify at @ThatViolaKid and on the Faking Notes Podcast
- [1:24] Max Branstetter on The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [1:42] Drew’s story
- [2:32] Peachtree City, GA
- [3:07] Disney World, Space Mountain
- [3:32] SpongeBob SquarePants
- [5:05] Johann Sebastian Bach
- [5:36] How music has influenced Drew’s life
- [6:50] How he uses his voice for impact
- [7:53] Quarantine
- [8:25] Black Lives Matter
- [9:30] Why nobody cares what you do
- [13:50] Is small talk a way of deescalating potentially hostile interactions
- [15:02] “How Not to Get Chased By a Bear” TEDx by Ryan Foland
- [15:16] Entrepreneur
- [15:25] Croc Brain, Pre-Frontal Lobe
- [15:48] Tone-deaf marketing
- [18:19] Elevator Pitch
- [18:48] How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- [20:54] What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [21:31] What is the problem you solve
- [26:15] The Juilliard School
- [27:45] Workflow
- [28:47] Care Bear Stare
- [29:46] Dr. Marc Lamont Hill on KOTA the Friend’s podcast, Temple University
- [30:02] George Floyd
- [31:18] What is the root problem
- [32:41] CEO (Chief Executive Officer), Fortune 500
- [33:42] Buy Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or Barnes & Noble
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [35:25] What is your solution?
- [35:51] Resonance, Metaphysical
- [37:12] Marianne Williamson
- [41:05] Flamin’ Hot Cheetos
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [42:45] Who is your target market?
- [42:52] Purple Cow by Seth Godin
- [46:49] Netflix, TikTok
- [51:10] Listen to Drew’s Faking Notes Podcast
- [51:28] Co-Host Trevor Bumgarner
- [52:45] Down to 1 sentence
- [53:01] Metaphor to describe
- [53:09] Classical Music
- [54:12] Caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland
- [55:06] Merlin
- [55:11] Brand Halo Effect
- [55:21] Cicero, Alexander the Great
- [56:07] Ryan rapping! The Ginger MC
- [58:10] Connect with Drew on YouTube, Instagram, and Spotify at @ThatViolaKid and on the Faking Notes Podcast
- [58:52] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [59:01] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [59:10] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Drew, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a musical note from your viola.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.