Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Siobhan McHale
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 34th episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Siobhan McHale, who is here to find your cultural fit. Join me as I put her in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #34: Siobhan McHale – Transform Your Culture
Siobhan McHale, Culture Transformer and Author of The Insider’s Guide to Culture Change, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to find your cultural fit. Hear how to create the right company culture, how culture impacts your business results, what defines great culture, insider secrets from the world of culture change, and stories from her childhood in Ireland. This episode covers everything from Siobhan’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to her journey from Ireland to Australia. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How important is messaging and communication in a post-COVID-19 world
- Why nobody cares what you do
- How to decide which problem to communicate
- Siobhan’s role at DuluxGroup
- What is a Culture Disruptor
- What vs. How
- How to transform your culture
- What adult coloring books have to do with Siobhan
Check out the episode link, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail. Let’s go!
- [0:28] Ryan Foland
- [0:49] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:55] Connect with Siobhan on LinkedIn and check out her book
- [1:38] Siobhan’s story
- [4:54] How important is messaging and communication in a post-COVID-19 world
- [5:25] Why nobody cares what you do
- [7:14] What is the 3-1-3 challenge?
- [7:21] Peter Goral on The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [8:31] Customer service
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [10:51] What is the problem you solve
- [13:00] IT (Information Technology)
- [14:37] CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- [16:42] How to decide which problem to communicate
- [20:06] Employee engagement
- [22:44] CHRO (Chief Human Resources Officer), DuluxGroup
- [23:11] Management Consultant
- [25:09] Buy Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or Barnes & Noble
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [26:18] What is your solution?
- [27:04] Culture Disruptor
- [29:38] Workplace culture
- [31:08] Accenture, PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
- [31:22] O’Hare airport
- [31:42] ANZ bank
- [32:49] What vs. How
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [35:34] Who is your target market?
- [39:28] Souplantation, Neiman Marcus
- [40:04] Change consultant
- [40:18] Culture transformation
- [40:31] HR (Human Resources)
- [46:41] KRA (Key Result Area)
- [47:35] Customer Avatar
- [48:34] Never Say Never Again
- [50:46] Checks and balances
- [54:09] Down to 1 sentence
- [55:02] M&M’s
- [1:00:07] Metaphor to describe
- [1:00:40] Transformers, The Crocodile Hunter
- [1:01:35] Batman, Blood Diamond
- [1:02:39] Amazon, Brand Halo
- [1:03:06] Adult coloring book
- [1:03:22] Ryan’s stick figures
- [1:04:29] Employee handbook
- [1:06:02] Shaman
- [1:09:51] Connect with Siobhan on LinkedIn and check out her book
- [1:10:04] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [1:10:11] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [1:10:25] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- [1:10:29] Follow the #313Challenge on social media
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Siobhan, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a culture problem.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.