Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: James Ellsmoor
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 21st episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is James Ellsmoor, who is here to solve your problems using digital communication. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #21: James Ellsmoor – Build Bridges Based on Best Practices
James Ellsmoor, Founder and CEO of Island Innovation, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to solve your problems using digital communication. Hear how to live as a digital nomad, how to translate solutions to make them easier to understand, how to find your niche, what you can learn from failure, and his days being busted by police for organizing raves. This episode covers everything from James’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to run-ins with the police. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What’s it like being a digital nomad
- What you can learn from failure
- Why people don’t care what you do
- The challenge with miscommunication
- The difference in What vs. How
- How islands can approach sustainability
- How to build your personal brand
- What Jack Dorsey has to do with James’s story
- [0:23] Ryan Foland
- [0:44] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:48] Connect with James at JEllsmoor.com, on Twitter at @JEllsmoor, and on LinkedIn
- [1:05] Digital Nomad, Sustainability
- [1:46] James’s story
- [2:03] Galápagos Islands, Catalina Island
- [6:08] Learning from failure
- [7:02] Haiti Tech Summit, Christine
- [7:32] Jack Dorsey
- [8:26] St. Lucia
- [8:51] Masters in Island Studies
- [9:03] What is the 3-1-3 challenge
- [10:01] Why people don’t care what you do
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [12:29] What is the problem you solve?
- [14:05] Private Sector vs Public, NGO
- [15:45] Miscommunication
- [16:36] Sustainable Development
- [18:14] Energy, Solar Power
- [20:23] Renewable Energy
- [21:12] Consultant
- [23:08] Climate Change
- [24:04] What vs. How
- [25:30] Book me at Ryan.Online to keynote or speak at your next event
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [27:22] What is your solution?
- [27:53] Scottish Islands
- [29:10] Pacific Islands
- [33:29] U.N. Climate Summit
- [35:33] Forbes
- [41:26] Knowledge Bomb
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [45:01] Who is your target market?
- [47:29] Down to 1 sentence
- [49:51] Metaphor to describe
- [50:24] Mary Poppins, Island Sustainability
- [50:44] MacGyver
- [52:02] Solar Panels
- [52:45] Personal Branding
- [54:01] Connect with James at JEllsmoor.com, on Twitter at @JEllsmoor, and on LinkedIn
- [54:54] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [55:04] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [55:10] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- [55:24] Follow the #313Challenge on social media
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, James, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a remote island.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.