Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Mark Evans
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 13th episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Mark Evans, who is here to get you more leads and sales. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #13: Mark Evans – Your Business Will Suffocate Without Leads
Mark Evans, VP of Marketing, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to get you more leads and sales. Hear his start working for a newspaper, how sports help entrepreneurs unplug from their business, why you need to focus on your customers to tell stories, how to embrace story-driven marketing, and the papercut analogy. This episode covers everything from Mark’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to The Addams Family. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How sports help entrepreneurs
- Why people don’t care about what you do
- The Papercut Analogy
- The Parachute Anaology
- How to get more leads
- What Subarus have to do with storytelling
- How to tell better stories
- What Mark learned from the newspaper world
- [0:26] Ryan Foland
- [0:46] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:51] Connect with Mark at MarkEvans.Ca and on Twitter at @MarkEvans
- [1:06] Peter Goral on The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [1:27] Mark’s story
- [2:12] The Globe and Mail
- [3:55] How sports help entrepreneurs
- [4:51] Chinese Wall
- [6:18] Why people don’t care about what you do
- [7:51] The importance of results
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [10:13] What is the problem you solve?
- [10:33] B2B (Business-to-Business)
- [11:34] The Papercut Analogy, Band-Aid
- [12:21] The Addams Family
- [20:00] Uber
- [20:20] Buy Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or Barnes & Noble
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [21:06] What is your solution?
- [22:19] Circular parachute vs Rectangular
- [23:15] Elvis Presley
- [24:42] What vs. How
- [27:55] How to get more leads
- [29:05] PPC (Pay-per-Click)
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [30:46] Who is your target market?
- [35:02] Down to 1 sentence
- [36:29] Factorials
- [41:18] Metaphor to describe
- [41:55] Matt Damon
- [42:02] Bugs Bunny
- [42:12] Subaru
- [42:24] Matt Dillon
- [42:32] Marriott
- [45:23] Subaru of Storytelling, Marriott of Marketing
- [46:27] Super 8, Hilton
- [46:44] Brand Halo
- [47:02] Park Howell
- [50:11] Connect with Mark at MarkEvans.Ca and on Twitter at @MarkEvans
- [51:29] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [51:40] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [51:49] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- [51:57] Follow the #313Challenge on social media
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Mark, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a championship sporting event.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.