Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Paul Haury
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 11th episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Paul Haury, who is here to help you belong at work. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #11: Paul Haury – You Need a Sense of Belonging
Paul Haury, Coach and Evangelist at Heart Based Leading, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to help you belong at work. Hear how he ran the 100-yard dash in 11 seconds, why we’re hardwired for belonging, why executives are often lonely at the top, how to create belonging with someone else, and how to keep the tribe together. This episode covers everything from Paul’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to Ryan’s stick figures. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Nature vs. Nurture in terms of inspiration
- Ryan’s ties to Tito Ortiz
- The definition of influence
- The tie between between unhappiness and lack of belonging
- The importance of permission-based pitching
- How to become better at belonging
- What Ai (Artificial Intelligence) has to do with belonging
- The idea of tribes
- [0:26] Ryan Foland
- [0:46] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:52] Connect with Paul at HeartBasedLeading.com and on Twitter at @PaulHaury
- [2:54] Paul’s story
- [4:57] Elite Soccer (Washington)
- [5:26] Usain Bolt
- [6:27] Run, Forrest, Run!
- [7:32] Tito Ortiz
- [9:32] Nature vs. Nurture in terms of inspiration
- [10:42] The 3-1-3 Challenge Episode 10 – True Influence is Voluntary
- [10:59] How do you define influence
- [14:22] Stick Figures, Microsoft Windows Surface
- [15:45] Can You Hear Me? by Nick Morgan
- [16:25] Millennials
- [17:13] Book me at Ryan.Online if your team is up for the 3-1-3 Challenge
- [19:01] The Home Depot
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [20:45] What is the problem you solve?
- [21:19] Steve Harvey, Family Feud
- [22:46] The tie between between unhappiness and lack of belonging
- [24:22] John Medina, Tribes
- [24:48] Tom Hanks, Wilson!
- [27:52] Permission-Based Pitching
- [33:31] Rigor Mortis
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [35:06] What is your solution?
- [39:01] What vs. How
- [41:32] How to become better at belonging
- [44:11] Navy SEALs
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [45:04] Who is your target market?
- [46:29] Employee Attrition
- [46:55] GoCoach
- [47:52] Down to 1 sentence
- [49:15] Metaphor to describe
- [49:52] Elmer’s Glue
- [51:18] CD
- [51:51] Tesla
- [52:12] Ai (Artificial Intelligence)
- [53:49] Connect with Paul at HeartBasedLeading.com and on Twitter at @PaulHaury
- [54:03] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [54:11] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [54:20] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- [54:29] Follow the #313Challenge on social media
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Paul, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like a 100-yard dash.
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.