Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: Rick Girard
Are you up for the challenge? Welcome to the 4th episode of my podcast:
The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
This week’s guest is Rick Girard, who is here to get you a better team. Join me as I put him in the 3-1-3 hot seat! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #4: Rick Girard – You Need a Better Team
Rick Girard, Founder of Stride Search and Host of the Hire Power Radio Podcast, sits in the 3-1-3 hot seat to put together a better team for you. Hear about his early days as a Playboy photographer, how to recruit top candidates for your team, why nobody cares about your company, why teams fail, and his time living in Hawaii. This episode covers everything from Rick’s attempt at the 3-1-3 to his expertise in recruiting. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How to drive in the rain
- How Rick got into the Playboy Mansion
- How to find work-life balance
- The Papercut Analogy
- The power of Permission-Based Pitching
- How to build the right team
- Why calling people still works
- How to be pleasantly persistent
Connect with Rick at 949-777-5656, [email protected], and HirePowerRadio.com.
- [0:26] Ryan Foland
- [0:49] The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland
- [0:54] Rick Girard
- [1:22] Irvine, CA
- [1:41] How to drive in the rain
- [4:10] Emcee
- [4:28] Rick’s story
- [4:53] His time as a Playboy photographer
- [5:08] Samy’s Camera
- [5:12] Photoshop
- [6:26] Getting to the Playboy Mansion
- [8:03] Sun Valley, ID
- [8:38] Ketchum, Mt Baldy
- [9:07] Regular, Goofy, Switch
- [9:52] How to find work-life balance
- [10:10] Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- [11:02] Rick’s move to Hawaii
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is the problem that you solve?
- [12:55] Why people don’t care about you
- [13:15] Headhunter
- [13:31] Hire Power Radio Podcast
- [15:12] what is the problem that you solve?
- [15:39] Whammy!
- [17:42] The Papercut Analogy
- [19:56] The biggest challenge with not building a team
- [20:51] The cobbler’s kids have no shoes
- [21:38] Why you should brush twice a day
- [22:08] Sell me this pen
- [23:10] Permission-based Pitching
- [24:23] Uber, Lyft
- [25:19] Buy Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or Barnes & Noble
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: What is your solution?
- [26:25] What is your solution?
- [28:20] How to build the right team
- [29:16] What vs. How
- [32:00] Why you need others to talk more
- [33:42] How Stride Search works
- [34:22] Orange County
- [34:38] How executive search works
- [36:15] How to reach out to people and get their attention
- [37:26] Why calling people still works
- [37:51] Why are people scared of calling
- [39:25] How to be pleasantly persistent
- [39:42] Ryan’s stick figures
- [40:21] Google
- [40:51] Rick Girard the hockey player
- [41:25] Why Twitter is good for Google
- [42:08] Elite Prospects, Wikipedia
- [42:25] Rick & Ryan’s time playing hockey
- [42:32] Kidney belt
- [43:42] Ryan’s “How Not to Get Chased By a Bear” TEDx talk
- The 3-1-3 Challenge: Who is your target market?
- [44:31] Who is your target market?
- [44:50] A round, B round
- [45:05] Silicon Valley
- [46:32] Pepsi
- [47:15] Max capacity clients
- [49:07] Closing ratio
- [51:00] Checks and balances
- [51:20] Factorial
- [52:00] Metaphor to describe
- [53:38] Connect with Rick at 949-777-5656, [email protected], and HirePowerRadio.com
- [54:58] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [55:08] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts,
- [55:16] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- [55:24] Follow the #313Challenge on social media
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Thank you, Rick, for attacking the 3-1-3 challenge like it’s recruiting season (it’s always recruiting season).
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.