Podcast! The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland: History of the 3-1-3
Are you up for the challenge? I’m extremely excited to introduce my new podcast: The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland! I’m your host, Ryan Foland, which you probably guessed. I’m here to challenge you to keep things simple AND powerful. So what is this 3-1-3 Challenge? Well, can YOU boil down your messaging to 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to just 3 words? This is what I’ve challenged people like you to do throughout my career speaking and consulting around the world, and now I’ve brought the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio.
Since this is the first episode, we’re doing something a little different: instead of having a guest, like you’ll see in the other episodes, this time you’re stuck with just me! You’ll hear the background of the 3-1-3, plus a little preview of what you can expect going forward. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – subscribe and leave a 5-star review if you’re up for the challenge!
What is The 3-1-3 Challenge with Ryan Foland?
Ryan Foland (that’s me) will challenge you to keep things simple and make them powerful. The Global Keynote Speaker, Author, and Branding Expert has inspired thousands to obliterate and revitalize their brands with his infamous 3-1-3 Challenge. Can you boil down your messaging into 3 sentences, down to 1 sentence, and ultimately to 3 words? Now, Ryan’s taking the 3-1-3 Challenge from the stage to the studio with a podcast to challenge business executives, creative thinkers, marketing leaders, and possibly even you – are you up for the challenge?
Podcast Episode #1: Ryan Foland – History of the 3-1-3 Challenge
Ryan Foland, the creator of the 3-1-3 Challenge, kicks off the show with a solo episode to share the history of the 3-1-3. Hear Ryan’s background, how he came up with the 3-1-3 challenge, how you can use it to help your business, examples of it in action, and what you can expect in future episodes – when guests (and maybe even you) dare to sit in the 3-1-3 hot seat. This episode covers everything from what 3-1-3 stands for to what an Antrepreneur is. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where the 3-1-3 came from
- Ryan’s background as an entrepreneur – and in Entrepreneur
- Why nobody cares what you do – they care about the problem you solve
- The power of the pause
- Why employers should want their employees to build their personal brands
- How the 3-1-3 works for businesses
- Why the 3-1-3 is the first step of the personal branding process
- The 4 V’s: Vision, Voice, Volume, Validation
Get ready for the 3-1-3 hot seat! Check out the episode, show notes, and pictures below for much more detail.
- What is the 3-1-3? Where did it come from?
- [1:18] Ryan’s background in Entrepreneur
- [2:43] UC-Irvine
- [3:09] Dean Salinger, Blackstone Launchpad
- [3:53] Antrepreneur Center
- [4:57] Socratic
- [7:30] Why nobody cares what you do – they care about the problem you solve
- [9:32] Solution in 1 sentence
- [10:23] Who’s your target market
- [11:22] 3 sentences that make the first 3: Problem, Solution, Market
- [12:56] Down to 1 sentence
- [13:42] Use metaphor & analogy to describe in 3 words
- [14:10] Uber
- [17:41] CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- [18:00] Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble
- How does the 3-1-3 work?
- How does the 3-1-3 work for businesses?
- [25:40] Sales strategy: selling without selling
- [27:20] Explain your products/services faster
- [28:55] Why employees personal brands are your company brand
- [29:20] Jeff Bezos
- [30:52] Influencers, Microinfluencers, Micro-microinfluencers
- [31:10] Know-Like-Trust Factor
- [32:11] Pepsi
- [32:48] Facebook groups
- [36:00] Why employers should want employees to build their personal brands
- [40:40] 3-1-3 is the first step of the personal branding process
- The 4 V’s: Vision, Voice, Volume, Validation
- [42:54] Vision
- [43:51] Post-it Note exercise, Personal brand is intersection of what you know and what people know you for
- [45:34] Voice
- [46:28] Volume
- [47:08] Validation
- [49:20] Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show
- [49:26] Keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app and leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts and following on GoodPods
- [49:38] Connect with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Facebook
- [49:40] Follow the #313Challenge on social media
- Theme Song: Kodo Stomp Percussion – Akashic Records – provided by Jamendo
How do I get on The 3-1-3 Challenge?
Believe it or not, that is The 3-1-3 Challenge in one hell of a ginger nutshell. Stay tuned next week for our first guest who dares to enter the 3-1-3 hot seat…muahahaha!
Think you’re up for the challenge yourself? Visit Ryan.Online/313me to apply for the show. You can also keep up with every single 3-1-3 Challenge by subscribing on your favorite app, leaving a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts, and connecting with me on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, or following the #313Challenge on social media. Buy my new book Ditch the Act on DitchTheAct.com or at your local Barnes & Noble. Want to have me go through the 3-1-3 on stage at your event or with your company? Book me for speaking or consulting. Until next time, Keep it Simple.